Monday, June 19, 2017

Wheat Free Rye Soda Bread...

God's Grace Overflows

Hello All!

I've been craving some bread and the 
hardest part of eating wheat free/yeast free
is finding bread you can eat that
 doesn't cost a fortune to buy.

So, I found a basic recipe and tweaked it a bit.

Most recipes still call for all purpose flour and/or yeast.

So, with this recipe it also called for all purpose flour
and what I did was buckwheat, almond meal, 
green banana and Gluten Free all purpose flour
along with the rye flour.

It's dense just like a traditional soda bread
but with adding in the green banana flour
it made it a bit more moist.


God's Grace Overflows

I love the looks of this bread as it looks so rustic!
Rustic and very tasty!

Did you know that buckwheat flour 
isn't actually from the wheat family?

It's apart of the rhubarb plant.

I thought that was very interesting!


Would you like the recipe now?

If you try this recipe, would you let me
 know what you thought of it?

***********

Wheat Free Rye Soda Bread

2 1/2 cups Rye Flour
1 1/2 cups total combined 
buckwheat flour, almond meal,
 GF flour mix and green banana flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 cups buttermilk or sour milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Whisk is your flours, baking soda and salt.
Make a well in center of the flour
 and pour in your buttermilk.
Stir well.
Divide dough in half and turn each 
dough ball onto a floured surface.
Make into 2 round loaves.
Transfer to a baking sheet.
Cut a 1 inch X  into the top of loaf.
 Poke holes around the X.

Bake for 30 minutes.  
Let cool at least 10 minutes before cutting.

I cut mine up and place half in a tin
 and stuck in freezer.  
Then this way when I want bread
I can take out one slice at a time.


*TIP*
If you aren't eating wheat free
you can add in your flour of choice.

Green Banana flour can be found at your local
health food store or online.
This flour will make your baked goods moist.
A little will go a long ways.


Also, when I was searching for wheat free flours
I came across this handy website on alternative flours.

Go check it out HERE

This site will also show you if it's gluten free.
Now rye isn't considered gluten free
but if you are going for a wheat free diet, rye is acceptable.

I hope you all are having 
a great Summer so far!

Thanks so much for stopping by,



5 comments:

Sylvia said...

It does look good, Amy. I don't do a lot of cooking from scratch these days.
Thanks for sharing it.

Aritha V. said...

Very good! I never eat bread but I love to see your one! Here the other eat mout bread, or double dark.

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Oh, sounds good. I wish I had the energy to bake right now!
Be blessed,
Laura

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Your bread looks delicious! I like to buy the Namaste gluten-free flour at Costco, it is already premixed, and I find it works amazing in most recipes. I also like the idea of adding in the green banana flour too. I am not making much bread these days due to summer heat, but maybe this fall I'll pick it up again. I'll save your recipe to try then :) Have a blessed and wonderful week of summer :)

Jennifer said...

Your bread sounds and looks delicious! I'm glad you have it to enjoy. I also didn't know about the buckwheat...that's good to know.

I hope you have a beautiful day!
Jennifer

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...