Sunday, February 10, 2013

Baked Chicken

 
 
 
I'd like to do a series of recipes with Cast Iron cooking.
 I have never had a dutch oven before and always wanted one. I finally got one this Christmas and was so excited to think now I can make an entire meal at one time.  My mom in law uses her dutch oven all the time and it just makes the whole house smell heavenly. 
 
Once I got mine all seasoned and ready to go, I tried making the whole chicken and all the fixings.
And, as you can see from above, it turned out delicious and extremely moist.
 
 
What you'll need:
 
of course a dutch oven pan with lid
1 whole chicken, thawed
carrots, peeled and cubed
taters, peeled and cubed
seasonings of your choice
1 cup chicken broth or more if desired
 
 
If you never had a dutch oven, you first have to season it. Turn on your oven to about 300 degrees, rub your pan down with shortening or oil. Bake for about 2 hours, remove from oven and wipe out.
 
I did mine a few days prior to baking the chicken.
 
So, I put my chicken into the pan, rub a dollop of butter all over the entire chicken, season to taste, then added my chicken broth.  Placed the pan into a 375 degree oven and baked it for about an hour and a half. Pulled it out and added the carrots and taters and then placed back into the oven and baked until chicken was golden brown and the veggies were fork tender, about another 1 to 2 hours.
 
It was sure mighty tasty.
 I made a pan of biscuits to go with it and viola my dinner was made.
 
*When cleaning the pan, don't use soap on it or it will make your cast iron have a soapy taste to it the next time you go to cook with it. And, don't forget to rub more oil or shortening on it after each use.  You don't want to lose your "seasoning" effect and have it rust out on you.*
 
Be joyful always; pray continually;
 give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 16-18


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks delicious!

Mrs.C said...

This looks so good! I have an old cast iron kettle w/ lid that would probably hold a whole chicken and some veggies, I've never thought to use it like this. Thank you for sharing, now I want to go get a chicken and cook one right now!lol I love roasted chicken and I bet this is the best ever! (Now it's Mrs. D's turn to comment!lol)

Jennifer said...

I love cast iron, too. It makes incredible pizza dough, in the 'round' or cornbread. Yum!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...